5G TECHNOLOGY: A NEEDED IMPROVEMENT
This is the fifth generation technology standard for broadband cellular network with a theoretical peak speed of 20Gbps, designed to succeed 4G which has peak speed of 1Gbps. 5G network takes connectivity to another high level through its virtualized and software-based technologies and connection to the internet and telephone network by radio waves . By 2025, 1.7 billion subscribers will be hosted by 5G worldwide.
The new sophisticated technology, 5G, will serve not only cellphones but also provide internet services for laptops and desktop computers, since it has greater bandwidth than the old 4G, with increased download speeds up to 10 gigabyte per seconds. This modern network will also ease mobility between cellular and Wi-Fi access using its seamless open roaming capabilities, making mobile or laptop users stay connected as they move within wireless connections and networks without any intervention.
On April 3, 2019, South Korea became the first country to adopt 5G. Just hours later, Verizon launched its 5G services in the United States, and disputed South Korea’s claim of becoming the world’s first country with a 5G network, because allegedly, South Korea’s 5G service was launched initially for just six South Korean celebrities so that South Korea could claim the title of having the world’s first 5G network. I n fact, the three main South Korean telecommunication companies (SK Telecom, KT and LG Uplus) added more than 40,000 users to their 5G network on the launch day. (From Wikipedia) .
WHO INVENTED 5G?
This is a universal question and the sole answer to it is that 5G was invented by nobody be it individual or company. However, several companies within the mobile ecosystem are independently working hard in bringing 5G to life. So, simply say 5G is a modern technology invented by different organizations independently.
DID YOU KNOW?
5G technology has the following peculiarities;
• The future of 5G will blesse smart homes, offices, organizations and cities in collaboration with artificial intelligence system to provide personalized energy-saving and environmental impacts.
• 5G technology extend spectrums not used in 4G using the 5G adapted Radio which meet the global standard for a more capable wireless air interface and also support a converged licensed and unlicensed wireless technologies.. It also has new antennas which incorporate MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output) which enhances multiple transmitters and receivers to receive more data at a unified time.
• Studies and relativity test show that the known Wi-Fi 6 wireless standard and the new 5G technology have many things in common like improved performance, low cost, better geographical coverage, advanced automation and lots more.
• It add bandwidth to it’s software-defined architecture which make it agile and flexible in bringing virtualization and cloud based technologies advancement.
• It provide agile and flexible access to users anytime and at anywhere they may be.
• It can create subnetwork software-constructs called Network Slices. The Network Slices enable ability to dictate network functionality based on available gadgets and users.
• 5G technology provides proactive traffic service management
• According to communication principles, the shorter the frequency, the larger the bandwidth. The use of shorter frequencies (millimeter waves between 30GHz and 300GHz) for 5G networks is why 5G can be faster. This high-band 5G spectrum provides the expected boost not only in speed but also in capacity, low latency, and quality.
• 5G download speed may differ widely by area but no matter the location it’s still far faster than 4G.
• According to the February 2020 issue of Fortune Magazine, average 5G speed measures done in Q3/Q4 2019 range from: 220 megabytes per second in Las Vegas, 350 Mbps in New York City, 450 Mbps in Dallas, 550 Mbps in Chicago, 380 Mbps in New York and over 950 in Minneapolis.
• It’s a very fast technology which is 20 times peak speed over 4G making downloading e.g. games more and more faster with ease.
• 5G is now available in some countries like Korea, China and United States
• 5G has nothing to do with the prevailing Covid 19 as rumor suggested
• It was built on existing 4G LTE technology
• It will overshadow and become universal latest by 2022
• 5G technology will not only usher in a new era of improved network performance and speed but also new connected experiences for users.
• In healthcare, 5G technology and Wi-Fi 6 connectivity will enable patients to be monitored via connected devices that constantly deliver data on key health indicators, such as heart rate and blood pressure. In the auto industry, 5G combined with ML-driven algorithms will provide information on traffic, accidents, and more; vehicles will be able to share information with other vehicles and entities on roadways, such as traffic lights. These are just two industry applications of 5G technology that can enable better, safer experiences for users.
• Up to 10Gbps data rate – > 10 to 100x speed improvement over 4G and 4.5G networks
• 1-millisecond latency
• 1000x bandwidth per unit area
• Up to 100x number of connected devices per unit area (compared with 4G LTE)
• 99.999% availability
• 100% coverage
• 90% reduction in network energy usage
• Up to 10-year battery life for low power IoT device
• THALES GROUP